Friday, May 11, 2007

Bungee Jumping

Bungee jumping to me was a sport of leaping a high ground place; while one of the parts of your body connected to a stretchable rope. I got an experience of bungee jumping last weekend in as part of a visit to Yomiuri land (Amusement Park). This was apparently my first outing in the Japan as well. Anyways I was sharing my experience about Bungee jumping.

My first opinion about the bungee jumping came from sports channels and other amusement channels sharing videos of bungee jumping. This seems to be one the most famous one of the sports under free fall category. On seeing this, it felt the people doing it as crazy being to risk their life for there mere momentary fun. As time moved on my opinion about it also changed. There was adventure, thrill, inexpressible experience that got associated with it. I never thought I would ever be going to get a chance to do anything like that in my life.

The jump I had was from about 6th floor of our normal Indian building. I would say that was quite a smaller one from whatever I have ever associated this sport with, But as soon as I climbed the 4th floor the thrill of jumping from this height started capturing my mind.

If we go by general funda of bungee jumping, when the person jumps, the cord stretches to absorb the energy of the fall, then the jumper flies upwards again as the cord snaps back. The jumper oscillates up and down until all the energy is dissipated.

Almost all the operators of bungee jumping stay to the standards, still the inherent danger in jumping from a height can't be avoided and injuries still happens. I later came to know about few fatal details about this sport, common mistake in fatality cases is to use too long a cord.

Before my jump i also noticed that the supporting members from the bungee jumping group rigorously conformed to standards and guidelines governing jumps in each of the person coming, such as double checking calculations and fittings for every jump.

2 comments:

Anshul Agrawal said...

Till now even i had seen Bungee Jumping only on TV but now i may feel a little bit about it...

Good that u did that, one shud always fulfill all his FANTASIES... ;)

Shruti said...

Hi Rohit,
Hmm, new post and i have not been updated as per said.
Anyways, i do had a wish to try bungee jumping one time..
Hope you had a great exp
take care...